According to wired.com , below are the most expensive cars sold at auction in the year 2016.
1. 1957 Ferrari 335 Sport Scaglietti's $35.7 million sale price may make it the most expensive car ever. The cheery, cherry racer once set a lap record at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, guided by the hands of legendary British driver Mike Hawthorn, who just happened to retire the next year.
2. 1955 Jaguar D-Type took Pebble Beach by storm this year, fetching $21.8 million. It has a pretty storied history: It was the overall Le Mans winner in 1956, and is the only Le Mans-winning C- or D-type still intact today.
3. The 1939 Alfa Romeo 8C 2900B Lungo Spider fetched $19.8 million, and has a chassis crafted by big-time Italian car builder Carrozzeria Touring.
4. The $18.2 million 1959 Ferrari 250 GT LWB California Spider Competizione finished fifth at the 1960 Sebring, and has intact coachwork by iconic Italian automobile design company Carrozzeria Scaglietti.
5. This pretty 1961 Ferrari 250 GT SWB California Spider is worth $17.2 million to someone. Its time in the spotlight probably helped: the car featured in the 1963 Academy Award-winning Sophia Loren film Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow.Mathieu Heurtault/Gooding & Company